Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1879 by Rev. W. W. Navigan. Services were held in a two-room shot-gun house on St. Charles and Pierce. Worship was continued at this building until an adequate church edifice was erected at a lot purchased at 2017 Dowling Street. The first deacons to serve were Brothers Gilbert, Moses, Merritt and Washington. Rev. Navigan faced many difficulties during his days of pioneering, however by the divine guidance of God his efforts were successful.
Rev. Lorenzo Williams was called to assume the pastorate of Jordan Grove after the death of Rev. Lofton in . The Church continued to progress although Rev. Williams served for a short period of time.
Rev. Williams was succeeded by Rev. J. R. Lofton as pastor. Rev. Lofton, an uneducated man, was rich in the word of God. Rev. Lofton who was affectionately called ‘Father Lofton”, was highly respected in the church, the community and among other ministers. Under his leadership many members were added to the church. He possessed genuine love and concern for the welfare of the church and community and his teachings were felt by all who listened. After over 40 years of service Rev. Lofton retired.
Rev. W. Joshua was called to pastor Jordan Grove in 1932. He was a great teacher, builder and organizer. Under his leadership the church continued both numerically and spiritually. He was best known for his soul winning sermons from the motto text of the Sunday School Lesson After ten years as pastor of Jordan Grove Rev. Joshua resigned.
In the month of March 1942, Rev. William Hayward Banks, a dynamic young man from Kendleton, Texas was called to “Shepherd the flock”. The church made its greatest stride in growth under Rev. Banks, the membership grew from 200 to 1500. Under Pastor Bank’s leadership Jordan Grove moved from the Dowling street location to its current location. Many laymen confessed their calling to the ministry during Rev. Bank’s administration. After 26 years of dedicated and faithful service, Rev. Banks tendered his resignation as pastor of Jordan Grove.
In May of 1969, the membership of Jordan Grove issued the call to Rev. Murphy H. Peterson. Under the divine guidance of the Holy Spirit, Pastor Peterson ushered in a new order of worship. The message did not change, but a new method of reaching people through ministry was born. Some of those ministries included; Deacon’s Family Ministry and Social Service Program (food and clothing). Some of his accomplishments included; land acquisitions and the burning of the church mortgage. In the midst of these accomplishments opposition arose, but the church continued to grow. On June 24, 1986, Pastor Peterson went home to be with the Lord.
After a period of mourning for Pastor Peterson the deacons of the church began to plan the work of the church until another leader was chosen. Rev. Jesse Jones, one of Jordan Grove’s own sons, was selected to serve as interim pastor.
On January 19, 1987, Jordan Grove unanimously approved the calling of Rev. David M. Roberts as pastor. Rev. Roberts accepted the call was installed as the seventh pastor of Jordan Grove on March 1, 1987. During Roberts’ five year tenure great strides were made at Jordan Grove. Pastor Roberts tendered his resignation on May 17, 1992 and it became effective on May 31, 1992.
Rev. Carlos Washington was selected to shoulder the responsibility of interim pastor during the period of transition until the call for a new leader was issued.
On June 13, 1993 Rev. Danny Davis was installed as the eighth pastor of Jordan Grove. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and Pastor Davis, Jordan Grove has made many strides. Among our accomplishments are Souls Have Been Saved, Membership Drive (1500), Creation of 11:30 Bible Study on Tuesday, Adoption of Families and Christian Young Men in Action. Phase I renovation completed, Phase II renovation (and $850,000 project started in May of 2003 and is slated for completion in May of 2004